Fall 52DC Objectives:

88 Clean eats (out of 104 possible)
20 Resistance training sessions
20 Cardio workouts
Lose 10.5 lbs (5% body weight)




So says a report in the New York Times as reported by Alex Hutchison at sweatscience.com.  The theory says that the brain needs downtime to function properly, and overloading it with TV's, loud music, and text messaging at the gym really suboptimizes the potential benefits of a focused workout when it comes to brainpower.

I am not sure if the people listening to iPods at the gym are any more or less intelligent than those luddites without them.  (I've seen some pretty stupid behaviour by the iPod group, but the cause-effect relationship is unclear!)  However, I can say that I tossed the iPod for working out long ago, and only use it occasionally for treadmill runs (which I find incredibly boring otherwise.)  During weight training and interval-type cardio, I find the distraction of messing around with my music is a serious distraction that extends my rest times, encourages bad form , and just generally gets in the way.

On the other hand, loud music during cardio (like spin classes) does seem to raise my performance to a higher level.  The beat and the volume are great at encouraging me to keep a steady pace and give maximum effort - the strange part is, at the end of the class, I can't even remember what the tunes were.  I'm apparently not even giving any conscious thought to the music, I'm just reacting to it at a subconscious level and it seems to work.

So, I agree with the article on a strictly empirical basis.  Background music = good; actively working the touchwheel on an iPod during workouts = bad, and texting on their BlackBerry during spin class = you should really think about going next door to Starbucks instead. 





 

5 comments:

We're on the same page. The "noise" interferes with my working out, but a strong beat pushes me to move faster on the Treadmill or other cardio machine.

I need to concentrate on a lift and visualize doing it. Distractions - music or talking - just gets in my way.

Enjoy the music. ;-)

TNT Man

September 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM  

Man I love my Ipod while I'm lifting! I work harder and lift stronger when it's jamming.

As a bonus, when folks try to talk to me during my routine I just smile nod and it stimies the conversation quick.

No Ipod in the gym...say its not so.....

September 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

I have to agree with you....I only use my ipod as I am struggling along on the treadmill...ugh! It definately helps to keep me going. When lifting I have to totally concentrate...I can't even listen to people talking..blows my concentration.

Enjoy!

BBM

October 17, 2010 at 1:35 AM  

Hello,

I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

Melanie

February 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM  

I also think that exercising with iPod’s do not cause of any increase in the outcome. I also do exercise without music and pay full attention to my exercise only.

March 8, 2013 at 6:44 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home