Fall 52DC Objectives:

88 Clean eats (out of 104 possible)
20 Resistance training sessions
20 Cardio workouts
Lose 10.5 lbs (5% body weight)




The 52-day challenge is rapidly closing in on the half-way point, and I am having a relatively good challenge.  I thought it miht be time to summarize where things stand and what changes I need to make to achieve all my goals.

The Good:
My circuit training sessions are keeping me right on track when it comes to hitting my resistance training goals.  I am doing 1-hour circuits every Monday and Wednesday, consisting of five rounds of rapid-fire (1-minute sets) of seven different exercises, plus a minute of hard cardio and a minute of rest.  A session lasts about an hour, and I usually hit total exhaustion by the end.  Since starting, I've upped my weight on most of the exercises, and have been using two 40-lb kettlebells for split squats and a 60-lb dumbbell for a swiss ball pullover move.  I'm thinking that most of my body parts are getting hit well; the one area that could use a bit more is the back.

I am supplementing the circuit training with a full-body workout on Friday or Saturday, typically including two sets of front squats, bench press, shoulder press, leg curls, pull-down or seated row, dips, pull-ups, and some sort of abs exercise alternated with back extensions.

My cardio is clustered around the weekend -spin or cycling on Saturday or Sunday, plus a run on Friday or Monday.  If I'm lucky, some other sort of cross-training cardio thing will happen during the week as well.  

All in all, if I keep up this schedule I'll hit or surpass my workout goals by the end of the challenge.

The Bad
My food intake has not been ideal, with too many cheat meals and stops at the pub.  I have learned that I am an impulsive eater/drinker, and among the things that trigger the impulse are stressful gatherings.  Having started a new job, and had far too many big family-type gatherings lately, I have not been sticking strictly to my dietary targets.  As a result, my weight loss has stalled completely.  I have the next four weeks or so to correct that and kick-start some weight loss.

But... 
I am pretty pumped (no pun intended) about some of the physical changes I'm seeing.  My chest feels stronger, and my arms (bi's and tri's) are noticeably better-defined compared to even three weeks ago.  I've noticed my thighs are much tighter-looking too, when I'm lying flat on my back doing some sort of weird swiss-ball ab exercise mandated in the circuit training... 

1 comments:

Reading your circuit - wears me out. Glad it is working for you.

I overloaded myself last Challenge and have pulled back substantially. Trying for tight focus on form.

Keep up the great progress.
TNT Man

August 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home